Other projects you're working on.

Kick back and relax.

Re: Other projects you're working on.

Postby Mike P » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:24 am

Well, I got thru the surgery on my arm (still healing but it’s getting better) then another minor surgery near my eye, (also still healing), I’m telling you the bastards lied to me about the golden years :D . Gettin old ain’t for the weak.

In spite of all the down time I have made a bit more progress on the 37. The cooling system is done, the wiring’s in, transmission cooler lines built and transmission controller installed. I also got the emergency brakes sorted out, exhaust built and rear bumper built and hung.

I even managed to get the gas tank straps made and sender installed.

After 13 years it’s finally to the point where I can at least start it now instead of just sitting in the cab making engine noises (come on we’ve all done that :whistle: ), Anyway I hooked up some temp battery cables and fuel lines and fired it off yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLTrliBppmY

I still have to get the service brakes done, connect the fuel system and rebuilt the front suspension before I can actually move it under its own power but at least it’s getting closer.
Mike P
Gearhead

Postby pila78 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:26 am

So you are back to having fun hey ? :D Good to hear that you are healing ! You are correct about old age, getting old isn't for sissies :D The pick up is gonna be a fun driver for sure !

BILL
pila78
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby The Mad Cadder » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:11 am

pila78 wrote:Ford dealers don't need a parts dept....they need a warehouse, because of all the "improvements" and design changes....

lol you mean @$!# ups..

The Dodge dealers i worked in had a recall book.. simple binder style..
The Ford dealerships had recall LIBRAIES the size of my house..

We didnt know if the car had a recall or how many it had untill you visually
examined it.. The same model made at the same plant on same day with
same options running back to front down the line could have completely
different parts ..like say cruise modules or proportioning valves or
window motor and if that part was different it would have a completely
different wiring harness..And one may not hav had a recall the next
may have had 20 .. It was INSANE..

One of my favorites was the Lincoln cruise cable recall.. All we did was
cut the cable and give the car back.. There was no fix and this went on
for over a year.. As you can imagine there was alot of really unhappy
Lincoln owners..

At that time the Lincoln dealer I worked at started a hourly pay program
Ford was pushing dealers to do that because it was damn near impossible
to make a living on flat rate (comission)
The past

71 Fleetwood , 73 SDV , 77 Eldo , 81 Cdv 472 236 @.050
71 Skylark 504 232 @.05 - 512 250 @.050
80 Cdv 507 238 @.05 solid , 68 Coupe 500 224 @.05
69 Camaro 514 ,6-71 288 @ .05 - 524 14.0 274 @.05 soild roller
330 cfm iron heads best 1/4 mile 9.65 136.96 mph 1.31 60'

"The Mad Banana" tow Caddy and
Someday .. One insane 27 T

The Cadil-maniac
The Mad Cadder
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby DevilDeVille » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Better part of past year has been spent on building a new garage on weekends. Hopefully all will be finished before cold weather arrives and we get some projects going again. For reference: foundation is approx. 56 by 33 ft, ceiling is 13.3 ft high and doors measure 10 by 10 ft.

´73 Eldo Convertible RatRod, ´74 Eldo Convertible, ´78 Sedan DeVille with 500, ´78 Fleetwood Formal Limo, ´86 Cimarron 2.0 litre :D, '97 Deville D'Elegance
DevilDeVille
Gearhead

Postby DevilDeVille » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Almost weatherproof now, missing one door inbetween two facilities and some insulation on ceiling.

´73 Eldo Convertible RatRod, ´74 Eldo Convertible, ´78 Sedan DeVille with 500, ´78 Fleetwood Formal Limo, ´86 Cimarron 2.0 litre :D, '97 Deville D'Elegance
DevilDeVille
Gearhead

Postby pila78 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:20 am

Lookin' good, nice facility !! :D
pila78
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bugzaper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Just put the 63 Nova in storage for the winter.
Decided to put it on jack stands, fill the tank and add a full bottle of stabil fuel additive (dammed gasoline these days...). :curse2:
Attachments
63 nova wagon.jpg
bugzaper
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Mike P » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 am

It 's warmed up a bit so I'm back plugging away on the 37. Last week was getting around and redoing the front suspension. The Mustang II front end was already under the truck when I bought it. The previous owner had saved some money by recycling the suspension pieces from a wrecked 76 Mustang II on to the aftermarket cross-member kit. The ball joints and bushings were pretty much junk and I wanted to do a couple of upgrades in the process.

The upgrades I wanted to do included going from the stock size 9" rotors to 11" rotors and adding ride height adjusters so the front end could be raised back up to the correct ride height as the new springs settled (which they will probably do in the first year of use).

In the process of of rebuilding the control arms I found out that I had one badly bent upper control arm I had to find a replacement for.

Installing the adjuster was pretty straight forward.

After I got the adjusters in I test fit the new springs and found out I needed to remove a coil which seemed to get the ride height just right so I tightened up everything and got the alignment reasonably close (it will be going to my friends alignment shop once it moves under its own power). The bigger brakes also look a lot more appropriate under the old HEMI too.

One more thing off the list.........once I get the brake and fuel lines run I should be able to actually move under its own power instead of pushing it. :thumbup:
Mike P
Gearhead

Postby Doc Zinger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:46 pm

An addition/update to work being done to my MB 560 SEC, found some wheels I liked that didn't cost a fortune and installed them with the 2nd set of new tires since buying the car. The 16' wheels are off a Lincoln Town Car '98 to '02 or so. Car still needs to be lowered, have lowering springs, to be installed soon, health permitting. A few pics.
Attachments
3271.jpg
3271.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 647 times
LTC Wheels #219852013.JPG
LTC Wheels #219852015.JPG
LTC Wheels #219852016.JPG
LTC Wheels #219852017.JPG
Doc Zinger
Bleeds Caddy Blue

Postby nosgood » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Doc Zinger wrote:An addition/update to work being done to my MB 560 SEC, found some wheels I liked that didn't cost a fortune and installed them with the 2nd set of new tires since buying the car. The 16' wheels are off a Lincoln Town Car '98 to '02 or so. Car still needs to be lowered, have lowering springs, to be installed soon, health permitting. A few pics.

Doc I love the fitment. Did they bolt right up?
Nick Osgood
'68 Coupe DeVille
500 in sight
nosgood
Backyard Mechanic

Postby Doc Zinger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Sort of, MB std is 5x112 LTC std is 5x4.5 = 5x114.3. I found something called wobble bolts that can make up to 3mm difference in fittment. Seems to work ok.

Also need some concentric rings 73.4mm to 66.6mm for the hub bore.
Doc Zinger
Bleeds Caddy Blue

Postby Mike P » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am

I've been plugging away getting the 37 ready to move under its own power. I got the brakes finished up then had to move on to getting a bed floor in it. Originally the floor was steel, but somewhere along the line that was cut out and by the time I bought the truck all that was kind of covering the floor was a rotted piece of plywood. Fortunately when they cut the original floor out they did weld in bracing for a new floor.

For now I decided to just go with a wood floor. I plan on driving the truck for a while with this patina while I do body work so I didn't spend a lot of time on finishing the wood. Just a light coat of stain and some Thompson's water seal and called it good.

With the floor in I could get the gas tank in and finish up the fuel system.

Originally the battery was located under the cab floor, but when I ran dual exhaust that pretty much eliminated anyplace under the cab or bed to mount the battery. That left putting the battery in the bed of the truck. I really didn't like the look of a stainless or aluminum battery box (and a plastic one was totally out of the question). I figured an old tool box would not look too out of place in the bed however, so that's what ended up serving as a place for the battery. As it turns out there is even still enough room to put a hand full of tools in it LOL.

I finished up the getting the battery cables installed yesterday and for the first time since I brought it home the 37 moved under its own power.

I just did a couple of laps around the arena and there's still a bunch to do but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

Mike P
Gearhead

Postby Darius » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 pm

<<I finished up the getting the battery cables installed yesterday and for the first time since I brought it home the 37 moved under its own power. >>

Mike P,

Congratulations guy!! You've reached a milestone making that beauty a roller. The new wooden bed looks great and I love the way you mounted the tank and the battery. That's a clean, fun look and functional to boot.

From one old guy to another, I remember you having some health challenges last August so it is especially nice to see you back healthy enough to make major progress.

Best to you,

bro. d
Darius
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Mike P » Sat May 13, 2017 5:27 am

“……I remember you having some health challenges last August so it is especially nice to see you back healthy enough to make major progress…….”

Thanks Darius. I’m glad to be able to be back at it too. Even after finally getting the surgery, my hands not back to 100% and likely never will be. At least it’s usable again. Seems like every year there’s just a little more I’m not able to do, but I’m VERY thankful to be able to do the things I can.

I ended up temporarily reinstalling the front sheetmetal (it has to come off one more time to get the alignment done) so I could see how it looks and make the decision on final tire sizes. I took some time and went ahead and finished up the exhaust cutouts and got a front bumper built for it.

I’ve been playing with a new video edition program and put a short run video together, it’s not very polished as it was more just learning the new program, but I thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing the old truck run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndlUhQnqq4Q

Mike P
Gearhead

Postby Nick Campagna » Sat May 13, 2017 1:51 pm

This is my recent work to develop a dual shifting capability. A person asked "Why ?, and if the pedal interfered with the shift arm". This was the answer if you're all interested:
The clutch does not interfere. The next step in a full custom pedal assembly, later this summer. Why ? It is so people with no use of fingers or ankle motion can still ride. Specifically, left side amputees. A lower leg amputee can still push a pedal, and a hand amputee can still move a lever. I installed a Baker N1 shift drum, N at one end, and a bell crank, so N is all the way up, and 1-5 is all down. The tank shift is set for tap back to upshift, tap forward to downshift.
Attachments
Clutch Detail 1b.jpg
Clutch Detail 2b.jpg
Clutch Detail 3b.jpg
Tank Shift b.jpg
Is the defect in what I see, or in what I'm seeing with? Menomonee Falls, Wi.
Nick Campagna
One Sick Caddy Freak

Previous

Return to Off Topic, B.S., Lounge