1967 / 429 Engine

Early (pre-1968) Cadillac engine discussion.

1967 / 429 Engine

Postby SUBSONIC » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 am

Hello guys,

I'm interested in learning whether or not '67/429 engines suffer from an oil pump reliability design problem. I'm told that the assembly eventually wears through its housing causing an engine failure. I realize that the 429 is hardly a popular choice these days, since I received zero replies the first time I posted this same question.

I know that a 500 is the way to go, but there are simply more mods required to make one fit in a '67 DeVille than I'm interested in doing. My car's driveline is original and runs fine with humble mods (open air cleaner, dual exhaust, Pertronix kit and MSD 6A spark).

I'm looking to have the bottom end balanced, gasket match the intake, heads and exhaust manifolds and throw in a slightly hotter cam. There's gotta be someone out there who has experience with the 429's strengths and weaknesses. Thanks.
SUBSONIC
Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
www.myspace.com/subsonicmusic
SUBSONIC
Backyard Mechanic

Re: 1967 / 429 Engine

Postby MOCRUZN » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:20 am

http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/inde ... on=search2

The above link is from a search on this board under the words '429 oil pump'.  I have not read the listed results,  I leave that to you.  The individual posters would presumably be the persons having some knowledge of the 429.  You might PM them for a personal response.

Google "Cadillac 429 oil pump' ?
MOCRUZN
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby LowCad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 am

Subsonic,

www.camcraftcams.com caries a slightly hotter than stock type cam.

My '67 for now still has its original 429 but I'm definately no oil pump expert and it'll definately be swapped by a 500.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5357,1165_365-429-Cadillac-Oil-Pump-Kit.html?itemNo=429%20oil%20pump caries an 'performance/ enhanced' oil pump though.

Good luck.
I'd rather be blown
LowCad
Backyard Mechanic

Postby Cadillac Kid 1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 am

Mr Sonic,
The oil pump on the 429 uses the front cover (aluminum) as it's housing. If the engine is abused by running dirty, gritty oil and not changing the filter the bore of the oil pump "casing" will wear out.  If the pump is assembled without a lower gasket in an attempt to raise the oil pressure, the cover will wear and so will the gears.
A stock oil pump with clearances within factor tolerances will deliver all the oil you will need.  New gear sets are redily avaliable for these engines and I have used several with excellent success.
The 67 was essentially the epitome of the 429's.  With 10.5:1 compression and a Quadrajet they are real torqers.
I have a 66 with a 67 intake and Jet Performance Quadrajet, running a Daytona Cam's, cam.
Did the rebuild using froged 10.5 pistons, full balance and it is one of the sweetest engines of that era.
Although the rest of my cars have 500's, I have never considered swapping one into the 66.
I hope that answers some of your questions
Greg
Cadillac Kid 1
Bleeds Caddy Blue

Postby SUBSONIC » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I've been trying to gain info on this engine for some time and this certainly helps. My '67 DeVille just works too well to go through the additional headaches and expense of a 500 swap. I bought it from an estate sale where the man who owned it bought it new, and used it little. No A/C and no radio, but it has cruise control that still works.

It's no "survivor" by any stretch. Clean enough to look really nice and rough enough to drive. It was repainted but the driveline has never been apart, and is original from the rear end to the carb. I replaced maintenance parts, threw in some basic hot rod mods and smile each time I see this twenty-foot black monster parked in my garage.

Having owned several muscle cars/hotrods, I've spent years and many thousands undoing what previous owners did to those cars. Other than an occasional broken rusted bolt, it's been a real pleasure to work on a car that hasn't fallen into enemy hands. I'll be quite happy with a balanced and blueprinted 429 with the usual tricks. Hell, I may even keep the "airplane" gears and take the car on roadtrips. Thanks again for your help.
SUBSONIC
Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
www.myspace.com/subsonicmusic
SUBSONIC
Backyard Mechanic

Postby Ted in Olympia » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 am

Did the car come stock with no AC and no radio?  I have one here that I will be parting out and it also came with no AC (the dash is different on the AC vs no AC car).

Also on my cruise control there's a wire that runs down the steering column like an aftermarket one but it sure looks old enough to be stock.  Is your this way?

TED
Ted in Olympia
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby EZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Cadillac Kid 1 wrote:I have a 66 with a 67 intake and Jet Performance Quadrajet, running a Daytona Cam's, cam.
Did the rebuild using froged 10.5 pistons, full balance and it is one of the sweetest engines of that era.
Greg

Greg,
Can you share the specs of the Daytona Cams cam you used on your 429?  I'm still searching for
a good grind for the 429 in my '66 Coupe DeVille.  I want it a little hotter than  stock but nothing radical.

Thanks.

"EZ"
"EZ"
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

"Torque it down 'till it strips, then back it off half a turn."
EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Cadillac Kid 1 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm

EZ,
I think I have said it several times, but I just talked to the folks at "Daytona Cams" and installed the cam they sent me. The numerical specs are meaning less unless you are talking about the exact computer program for the profile which is of course proprietary.
The "magic" numbers are something like 214 degrees Intake and 218 degrees exhaust (duration at 0.050 inch), .460/.470 valve lift, and the LCA as well as the ICA are not listed, nor did I measure them.  The cam is excellent for my car, and with the modified Quadrajet I have installed, could not be better for "superstock" performance.
Greg
Cadillac Kid 1
Bleeds Caddy Blue

Postby EZ » Mon May 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Greg.  I sent daytona Cams an e-mail and they told me they have no
cam cores for a 429 right now and didn't answer any of my questions in my
e-mail.  Guess they don't need any new business.  They must have all they need.  :curse2:

"EZ"
"EZ"
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

"Torque it down 'till it strips, then back it off half a turn."
EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Return to Early Cadillac Engines