1966 429 Cadillac Engine Rebuild

Early (pre-1968) Cadillac engine discussion.

1966 429 Cadillac Engine Rebuild

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm going to "freshen up" my 429 and put it back in my '66 Coupe DeVille Hot Rod now that I found a custom grind cam for it. Here are the main bearings and crankshaft main journals. They look pretty good for 64,000 miles I think. I'm still going to replace the main bearings but as long as the crank checks out when I mic it I think I'll just leave it alone. :D

"EZ"
Attachments
429 main bearings1.jpg
429 main bearings2.jpg
429 main bearings3.jpg
429 main bearings 5.jpg
429 main journal1.jpg
"EZ"
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

"Torque it down 'till it strips, then back it off half a turn."
EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Re: 1966 429 Cadillac Engine Rebuild

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Here's a few more of the main journals of the crankshaft. I'm happy so far! :beer2:
"EZ"
Attachments
429 main journal2.jpg
429 main journal3.jpg
429 main journal4.jpg
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby dave brode » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Sheee-it, as nice as they look [and $200 for new ones?], I'd scrub them with a plastic brush, polish the crank a little with 800 wet/dry, light oil and a bootlace, clean the oil holes with pipe cleaners, stick a new rear main seal in and put it all back in. There doesn't seem to be any acid damage, like is typical in old engines.

Are you going to have the block hot-tanked, new cam bearings, core plugs, honed and the like?

Fwiw, I would use a dingle ball hone and buy plain cast rings. If there is ANY ridge, I would cut it out w/a ridge reamer, then hone. The sharp corner edge on the top ring will clang against even a slight ridge = not good.

Dave
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby STDog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 pm

I don't believe those bearings have 64k on them, and certainly not 43 years. :boggled: :boggled:

Really looks like it was rebuilt before you bought it.

Plastigage them (mains and rods) and see what the clearances are.
STDog
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby EZ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am

Nope. No rebuilds. Getting the oil pan off was pretty tough. It hadn't moved for over 40
years and it didn't want to move!! :gnasher: But I got out the dead blow hammer and a
scraper and went to work breaking the seal. :devil:

The bearings do look nice and the crank looks just as nice. I think I'm going to be safe
buying std main bearings.

Dave, I plan to cut the ridge if there is any and I planned to hone the cylinders myself with a dingle ball
like you said. I've already bought a set of cast rings in std. size as well as a set of rod bearings. I was waiting to see how the crank looked before I bought the mains but now that'll be next. I have a new oil pump, water pump, and 3 keyway Cloyes timing chain.

I have the custom grind cam and lifters but no cam bearings. If the cam bearings look as good as the mains I'm not going to mess with them. I really think they are OK. If not I'll change them.

I haven't got the pistons out yet but the skirt was hanging down in one of the cylinders and it wasn't scuffed in the slightest from what I could see. I hope the rest look that good too. I'll continue to post pictures so Y'all can see how it's going.

"EZ" :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby EZ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 pm

I took a whole floppy disc full of pics on my Sony digital camera and when I went to upload the pics my computer syas the disc isn't formatted. :cursing: Formatting the disc will erase all my data on the disc. :banghead: I just used this disc a few days ago and it worked perfectly!!! :gnasher:

I'll see if my wife will let me borrow her new christmas presant to take some pics out in the garage with. lol That may not happen. I better look around for another 3.5" floppy for my old camera......... :curse2:

More pics to come soon!

"EZ"
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby STDog » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 am

If you put the disc in the camera, does it show the pictures still there?
Maybe you PC is the problem?

Probably time for a new camera though. The drives only last so long, new computers are showing up w/o floppy drives. Most laptops no longer have a floppy option, not even an external one.
STDog
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 am

Yeah, I know it's an old camera. The only time I use it is out in the garage.
If this thing had a USB port on it I'd try to pull the pics off that way. But it doesn't.
The camera looks new and I kinda doubt it's the camera itself causing the problem
but the floppy discs are not a good medium.

"EZ"
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 am

Be very tempted to reuse those bearings--they look perfect! What a nice engine you found.

Maddog
Maddog
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am

Hey Maddog!

That's the original engine from my '66 Coupe DeVille. I was going to put the 500 from Shawn in there
but nobody wants to pay anything for a 429 and mine was in such good shape I didn't want to
give it away. So I found a custom cam, a set of Sanderson headers, and a Q-jet carb so the engine will
run good. After tearing it all down I confirmed just how good of shape the engine was in. 64K miles but the maintenance must have been kept up pretty well by the original owner.

"EZ"
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby 61cadman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm

That's looks to be in great shape for an original untouched 429 for sure, well built from the factory and very well treated durring its life. Really makes for a nice easy rebuild. Interested to know what oil was run in it or what you are planning to use in it. Something had protected it well. Maybe an oil, filter change ever two weeks ???? and driven to store once a week. Seriously that is nice and most of us dream to find an engine looking that good inside. Just does not happen often. kind of like winning the lottery. Nice pictures.

Todd
61cadman
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Cadillac Kid 1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am

The bottom end of the 429 is about as "understressed" as anything you will find. With a constant supply of clean oil and speeds under 4500 RPM that motor will run until most of the bodies have turned to rust.
I would respectfully suggest that you take the asssembly to a good machine shop, have them mike and check the crank, rods, and block for wear, and if they find none, polish the crank and balance the rotating parts.
That's what I did with mine. They balanced it to within 1/2 gram (that means something to anyone who balances enginesw, but not to me). At speed it is smooth as any big motor I've ever driven.
Greg
Cadillac Kid 1
Bleeds Caddy Blue

Postby EZ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words Todd. I've owned it for about 5 years and have used nothing but Valvoline 10W40 oil in it. After the rebuild I'll probably go with Valvoline 10W30. Not sure what the original
owner used but she was an old lady and had her local dealer in California do the maintenance. I'd bet
they had her down there regularly..........$$$$$$ :greedy:

I am the second owner so I guess I got lucky, eh?

"EZ"
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby 61cadman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 pm

EZ,
I run Valvoline 10W30 in my cars. VR1 in my older cars after the rebuild of the engine . Claims to Have some ZDDP yet. I run either Lucas break-in or a bottle of ZDDP from MTS the 1st 500 miles for sure to be safe. Maybe 1/2 bottle the next change. Good to know maybe my engines will fare well with Vavoline. Everyone can use some luck at times. You did good luck or otherwise. . I think you will have a nice reliable 429 engine for a daily driver when you are done for very little cost. I like the idea about Lady and the dealership. I bet they do make quite a bit of extra monet that way.

Todd
61cadman
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby albeva » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 am

what are the tightening of screws for 429 cadillac Rod Bearing?
albeva

Postby EZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:18 pm

The torque values for the Head bolts are 60 ft/lbs, The rod bolts are 45 ft/lbs and the main cap bolts are torqued to
100 ft/lbs. Torque the intake and exhaust manifolds to 30 ft/lbs.

Hope this helps!

"EZ" :metal:
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Re: 1967 429 Cadillac Engine Rebuild

Postby albeva » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 am

Forgiveness, but i'm from Spain, i do not speak good english, and the translation goes wrong, i want to know the click of the screws on the crankset with and plain and the click of the screws Rod Bearing Set 1967 Cadillac 429 NEW and Main Bearing Set 1967 Cadillac 429 ci
albeva

Postby EZ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 am

Sorry if you don't understand. And I don't speak Spanish either! :banghead:

What do you mean by "click"? I was thinking you wanted to know how tight to make the bolts and nuts for the rods and main bearing caps??? :eyebrow:

If this is correct you have to use a torque wrench set to 45 pound-feet for the rod bolts. Turn the torque wrench until it clicks. Then set the torque wrench to 100 pound-feet for the main caps and turn them until the wrench clicks.

Is this what you needed? :reading:
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Return to Early Cadillac Engines