Lifter tick 1966 429

Early (pre-1968) Cadillac engine discussion.

Lifter tick 1966 429

Postby Sedan66 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:11 am

Hello I'm new to the forum I just picked up a 1966 sedan deville in really good shape has 74k original miles a/c blows ice cold. The problem I have is a tapping nosie coming from the driver side vavle cover. The car runs great doesn't smoke has plenty of power only problem is that ticking nosie also it gets a little faster when I accelerate. I changed the oil and put an additive in it but it didn't seem to help. My boss told me there might be a flat spot on the cam any one have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
Sedan66
Backyard Mechanic

Re: Lifter tick 1966 429

Postby cadillackeeper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 am

I would rip off the valve cover on that side and see if you can see
anything out of order/loose.
cadillackeeper
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby MOCRUZN » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Your desription is quite general .. all lifters are ticking on the drivers side ? .. only one ? .. does it ever go away? .. what is the oil pressure ? .. what oil did you choose at the change ? .. what additive did you use ?

As suggested, determine if there is anything broken, obviously loose, bent, or out of alignment with everything else .

Identify which of the rocker arms is associated with the ticking .. you may need a "hearing aid" to decern this, try using a length of water hose held to your ear while passing the other end slowly across the exposed valve train to find the loudest noise .. other "listening" aids work, too. Happen to have a doctors steathiscope ?

Since this is done with the engine at idle, some oil mess will be splashed outward that is normally contained by the valve cover which you removed.

Let us know what you find and our panel of experts will offer suggestions, usually equal in number to the board members responding.
MOCRUZN
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby cadillackeeper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm

You know after driving home from work today,I have a tick but it is an
exhaust leak.Maybe yours is too!
cadillackeeper
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Sedan66 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 am

It sounds like it's just one of the lifters, and no the ticking doesn't ever go away it ticks real slow at ideal but gets faster as I accelerate. When I did the oil change I used a high milage 10w-40, I forgot what the additive was but I was see if I can remember the name. It could be an exhaust leak but it really sounds like it's coming from the valve train.
Sedan66
Backyard Mechanic

Postby bluelagoon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 am

did you ever figure this out? I have the same thing.... let me know

thanks
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby EZ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Drivers side exhaust manifolds are notorious for developing a crack which will "tick" as the car is driven.
Start the car when it is cold and use your hand to feel if there is any exhaust "puffing" out of anywhere on
the driver's side manifold. Not quite as common but the intake manifold also is prone to cracking because the exhaust is run through the intake manifold to help warm the carb when it's cold.

If all this fails to find your ticking noise I would remove the valve cover and make sure everything is tight. A trick is to use a really long screwdriver as a stethascope. Put the long screwdriver to the valve cover and then lay your ear on the handle and listen. You should hear mechanical sounds but no loud ticking or clacking or thumping or clanging. Move the screw driver around and you can find the source of your noise a lot of times.
"EZ"
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

"Torque it down 'till it strips, then back it off half a turn."
EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bluelagoon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 pm

great info. I used a piece if hose and the only place that the tick clearly came from was underneath the carb below intake on passenger side . I guess i should just jump in there and take it apart to figure it out.

I think it may be the intake. it's clearly on the passenger side.

I'm so tied between building the 472 I have or just pulling the original motor and rebuilding it.
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby bluelagoon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

I heard running a quart of ATF then driving for a little can help?

Is this a waste of time and money?

Can anyone recommend lifters for 64 429?
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby bluelagoon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm

I think i may have found the reason for the ticking?

two out of the 8 were like that , the rest smooth normal wear.
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby EZ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, that doesn't look good........... :tired:
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bluelagoon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:46 am

I noticed when i went to put my pushrods back in that most of them but two, suctioned to the lifter, and i could pull the lifter up and down slowly without the pushrod pulling out.

That makes me wonder why the # 3 cylinder lifters didnt do it like the rest??? this is also where my tick was coming from.

is that i sign of those lifters being bad??
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby dave brode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 am

Gents,

Does the '66 oil through the head, or p-rods?

Can you run the oil pump with a drill?
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bluelagoon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

thru the head. solid p-rods
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby dave brode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am

bluelagoon wrote:thru the head. solid p-rods

Hmm. Chance of wiped cam aside, could the oil passage be full of gook, shutting oil off to those two rockers? Does each rocker get it's oil via holes in the shaft, through holes in the rocker?

Can you drive the oil pump w/a drill to see if they are oiling? If they are oiling, I would look at the lifters. If they are collapsed [check valve clogged and not working], perhaps the rockers got hammered to death?

With everything addressed and problem found, look at two replacement rockers. Those look a little too bad to be re-finished, although sombody may offer welding/refinishing?

Assuming the top of the valves aren't fubar.....

Dave
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby dave brode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 am

http://www.rockerarms.com/

http://www.egge.com/

there are probably other sources.
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bluelagoon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 pm

if a replace the lifters don't I have to replace the cam too?

as ghetto as this sounds I fiilled the warn rockers with my welder and smothed them out to the best I could matching to the others.

put back together and no ticking... but it started back firing .. not too bad sounded like a beebee gun going off.. and it wasnt consistant. I did use some penetrated oil on those lifters to see if I could pull them.

could that penetrating oil been what cause that??

now I should change oil huh??
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby bluelagoon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am

got the new rockers in . ticking is gone. but now
it back fires a little.

I feel like it's a carb problem because as I give it throttle from a stop is when it does it.

maybe I got something in the carb while I was working on rockers.

maybe timing is off alittle because of new rockers.. I only replaced three that were bad.
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Postby EZ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Do you think you might have a valve hanging open causing the back firing? The tops of the pistons could be caked with carbon. A piece may have lodged itself in the valve seat causing the valve to hang open??? Try some Seafoam. It's great at cleaning up the fuel system and cleaning the combustion chambers. I might even spray some Seafoam or water into mthe carb while the engine is running to try to clean the tops of those pistons if they are that bad.

From those pics it looks like the inside of that engine is pretty cruddy and gummed up. Looks like a lack of frequent oil changes over it's life. The crud could be clogging up an oil passage that was supposed to be oiling those rocker arms..........???? If it were mine I'd clean it out as best as I could. You may have to change the oil several times fairly quickly to keep the cleaner from contaminating the oil and ruining the bearings. I'm afraid the rocker arms are just the tip of the iceburg. You might plan on a rebuild in your future..........

Good luck!!
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.

EZ
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bluelagoon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

this is soo frustrating. when i installed the "like new" rockers.... three of them, now i get this squeak coming from the same place. Almost like they arnt getting oiled enough.

I clean out the rocker shaft really good with compressed air so i know there is nothing clogged in the shaft.

I dont really understand how the oil get from the crankcase to the rocker shaft? maybe theres a clog there?

As for as the back fire. i don't think it has to do with this the rocker issue. it seems more like a starvation of fuel at some times and maybe its a clogged fuel filter or something. you can almost here the fuel being sucked into the carb and then a quick pause then bang. but not a loud one like a back fire. sounds more like a pellet gun.

Im not apposed to taking it to a mechanic, i just dont know if theyre any that know anything about these caddy motors. i know theyre not rocket science.
bluelagoon
Gearhead

Next

Return to Early Cadillac Engines