Shell Rotella 15w-40 Oil Which one to Keep

General topics not pertaining to one particular type of engine, or topics regarding non-Cadillac engines.

Shell Rotella 15w-40 Oil Which one to Keep

Postby PROSTOCKTOM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 pm

OK Guys I need an answer without reading for hours and I know several of you guys know this answer right off the

top of your head. I have several cases of Shell Rotella T CI-4 PLUS and several more cases of the

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection sitting in the shop. I have a guy wanting to buy it all, but I'm going to keep some

of it. I'm thinking the newer stuff because it cleans the inside of an engine better, but I'm not really up on all the

differences between the two. Which one is the better oil of the two to keep?

Thanks

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM
One Sick Caddy Freak

Re: Shell Rotella 15w-40 Oil Which one to Keep

Postby dave brode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm

dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby PROSTOCKTOM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:23 pm

dave brode wrote:http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Dave,

I don't have the time to read for hours right now. Too busy at school right now.

I'm leaning toward keeping the newer suff and selling the older type.

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby 76FleetBrougham » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

PROSTOCKTOM wrote:
dave brode wrote:http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Dave,

I don't have the time to read for hours right now. Too busy at school right now.

I'm leaning toward keeping the newer suff and selling the older type.

Tom

from what i remember reading a few months ago, keep the old stuff. they make up for the lack of zinc/good "cancer causing" ingredients with some other chemistry tricks that arent necessarily as effective in the real world. if was the full synthetic stuff, definitely keep that, but if its new dino vs old dino, the old recipe is "better"
Blake
1976 Fleetwood Brougham
BUILD PICTURES: http://stoddard.smugmug.com/BuildingTheBeast
76FleetBrougham
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby PROSTOCKTOM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Well the main reason I was leaning at keeping the new stuff was from the photos that Shell had on a website between the old brew vs. the new brew.

It showed how much cleaner the inside of the engines were using the new vs. the older type.

They had a lot of different engine parts, oil pans and there was a night and day difference.

The old stuff leaves a brown varnish all over eveything and the new didn't.

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Paris » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 am

Ok so, nice and clean verses possible engine damage due to the possible lack of anti-friction components....?
My aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, 'You're next.' They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
'26 Model T coupe
'72 Chevy C-10
BUY AMERICAN...the job you help save could be your own
Paris
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby PROSTOCKTOM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Paris wrote:Ok so, nice and clean verses possible engine damage due to the possible lack of anti-friction components....?

Dirty and Nasty can be just as bad for an engine as well. lol

I made it an easy choice and sold the guy 2 cases of each, so I sit have a couple cases of each left.

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bugzaper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm sold on the "Shell Rotella" quick enough for you... ;) !
bugzaper
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Cadillacs R Us » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Well you know the new Triple T was designed with less zinc and phosphorus for the 2008 and up catalytic mufflers on semis........not good for gas motors with hydraulic or solid lifters.

I have containers of each CI-4 Plus and the CJ-4 Triple T but won't use either anymore. Potters said that Rottela T would foam on the dyno. Jim Haas...528BUICK in the link below had experiance with a Cummins motorhome at the first oil change with RotellaT and low oil pressure.

He went to a Cummins dealer and they changed the oil to Cummins Blue which at that time was the same as Delo 400. Oil pressure came back up :yikes:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t ... ion+Ho-Hum
79 Coup DeVille 511                                 
1/8 mile  6.94 @ 97.81MPH  ( 1.507 60 ft)
1/4 mile 11.02 @ 118.98
Kendallville, Indiana   CRAPPY VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQ_KrVmvew
Cadillacs R Us
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby bugzaper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:23 pm

I pour in a pint of "Lucas Zinc" oil additive with every oil change and have not any issues so far (knock on wood...).
bugzaper
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby dave brode » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:25 pm

:twocents:

The newer "low emissions" diesel oils still have a good bit of zinc, but imo, guys pay too much attention to zinc levels. Afaik, an oil made from a better base [better grade of crude] would not need as much zinc etc to be "good". There was some internet chatter some time ago about the fact that Brad Penn oil was not all that high in zinc. Afaik, they have since added more, perhaps just so people might think it's better now. Even if it really didn't need it.

Then again, I would not use the low zinc oils with the "starburst" symbol.

Although the foaming issue could be a valid concern, imo, if a diesel will live with it, it's pretty good lubricant. Fwiw, Ray Barton, the Hemi guy, told my buddy to use 15/40 diesel oil in his mopar race engine, which he does. Note - that was probably before the newer spec diesel oils existed though

And, if you dig around, you can read opinion that there IS such a thing as having too much zinc and maybe phosphorous too......

Sorry for the mud, Tom.

Dave
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby dave brode » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="PROSTOCKTOM
I made it an easy choice and sold the guy 2 cases of each, so I sit have a couple cases of each left.

Tom[/quote]

mix it half and half and use it up.

lol
dave brode
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby PROSTOCKTOM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:58 pm

dave brode wrote::twocents:

The newer "low emissions" diesel oils still have a good bit of zinc, but imo, guys pay too much attention to zinc levels. Afaik, an oil made from a better base [better grade of crude] would not need as much zinc etc to be "good". There was some internet chatter some time ago about the fact that Brad Penn oil was not all that high in zinc. Afaik, they have since added more, perhaps just so people might think it's better now. Even if it really didn't need it.

Then again, I would not use the low zinc oils with the "starburst" symbol.

Although the foaming issue could be a valid concern, imo, if a diesel will live with it, it's pretty good lubricant. Fwiw, Ray Barton, the Hemi guy, told my buddy to use 15/40 diesel oil in his mopar race engine, which he does. Note - that was probably before the newer spec diesel oils existed though

And, if you dig around, you can read opinion that there IS such a thing as having too much zinc and maybe phosphorous too......

Sorry for the mud, Tom.

Dave

Diesel oil lives and makes a great lubricant because it never exceeds 2000 rpms and spends most of it's life at 1400 rpms.

I've always just ran good old Valvoline VR1 and never had any issues in my car engines.

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby pila78 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 pm

So I have the Comp Cams break-in additive.......should I use it with "regular" oil, or with VR1 for break-in??
Too much ZDDP with VR1 & the additive?

I normally ( before they messed with the oil) changed the oil and filter after cam break-in, to check the filter element, and get any assembly debris out with the oil change. I always used non-detergent for brake-in, just like I do on aircraft engines.
pila78
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby yellowroket » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Worst thing that kills diesel oil is all the soot that gets into it, they make some pretty wild filter kits that are suppose to extend the oil changes into the 10s of thousands of miles. Big $$ though.

Knock on wood but I have always used VR1 like tom says and on tons of motors with no additive on break in.... never had a cam go flat yet or even look bad on the lobes at tear down. I run 20-50 maybe too thick but cant see where it will hurt in the summer.

Robbie
Caddy powered and Corn fed. 11.26@122....bring on the 10s
yellowroket
One Sick Caddy Freak

Postby Vern » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:04 am

For my flat tappet cam engines I was sold on the Old Rotella prior to the starburst symbol. Now I am very pleased with Valvoline VR1. Again that is for flat tappet or solid lifter cam engines. If its for a newer roller motor than generally speaking any oil, best being a full synthetic.
Vern
One Sick Caddy Freak

Return to General Tech